Some useful sources of rules, regulations and registrations from the regulatory bodies:

American Boat and Yacht Council – US standards for fitting out of boats

Boat Safety Scheme – UK inland waterway rules for fitting out of boats

CEVNI – European Code for Inland Waterways

CG66 – HM Coastguard’s CG66 Voluntary Safety Identification Scheme

EPIRB registration – register / update your EPIRB with OFCOM

GMDSS Procedures for Small Boat Users

HMRC – License to buy industrial denatured alcohol

ICC – International Certificate of Competence

Life Saving Signals

MCA Codes of Practice – official list of coastal and offshore coding documents

MCA Small Ships Register – put your boat on the Part I or Part III register

MMSI database – look up MMSI registrations

OFCOM Licensing Service – get / update your radio license here

RAINWAT – European inland waterways radio rules (required to keep printed copy on board)

Sail Numbers – get your offshore sail number from the RYA (free for RYA members)

SOLAS V Regulations for Pleasure Craft

Some useful commentary on rules, regulations and registrations from third party (non regulatory) sources:

Towing guide – Excellent guide to UK towing regulations from the National Trailer and Towing Association


Do you have a story, information, brochure, manual, link or other relevant content that should be on this page? If so, we would be very grateful if you would leave it as a comment or email so we can post here – thanks!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: