Help with rebuilds

Several owners doing rebuilds have suggested that it would be useful if there was somewhere where they can ask for specific assistance, for example for pictures of specific items that may be very damaged or missing on their boats. This is that section! Please ask your questions and leave your answers below or email them to – thanks very much!

5 Responses to “Help with rebuilds”

  1. Johnny Torrens-Spence Says:

    I’m re-fitting a 1978 Mk 2 bilge keel Corribee. Does anyone know where the water tank should be? I presume under the cockpit (I’ve got a water filler cap on the cockpit front seat – just by the hatchway). But the space is small – where can you get a tank that fits? Johnny

    • scorribee Says:

      I’m not sure that there was ever a ‘standard’ water tank. Unless you want to have a go at making one yourself, or going to the expense of getting a welded polythene tank made by someone like TekTanks, I would recommend an off-the-shelf flexible plastic tank. It will fit anywhere, and through a small opening, and you will be able to remove it for washing out and sterilising. When fitting you just need to take care that there are no sharp edges or bits of spikey grp that could cause a puncture.

  2. Pete Lloyd Says:

    Hi Can anyone help me I have recently bought a Mark 11 Bilge keel Corribee 21 and have totally gutted her. I am trying to design a better anchor drain arrangement than the current bilge draining option does anyone have any ideas.

    • scorribee Says:

      Later Corribees have an anchor locker – the bulkhead is a piece of plywood glassed in place, and there is a small triangular ‘floor’ glassed into the bottom. A drain hole drilled through the hull allows water (from the anchor warp) to drain away. The problem is the hatch – triangular in shape – which would have to be fabricated from grp.
      Alternatively, Jake Kavanagh worte an article about building an anchor locker in Practical Boat Owner, possibly in 2008. You may be able to locate a back issue by getting in touch with PBO or even posting on the PBO section of the YBW forum

  3. ecorribee Says:

    Does anybody have a close up picture of a companion way hatch, sliders and retaining woodwork open and closed? I have a very distressed Mk2 and have the hatch itself and the wooden rails that retain it but nothing else. Are there supposed to be rails of some type for the hatch to slide on? If so, what size are they and what are they made of? Are there any other components to this mechanism – some kind of seal for example? Any assistance and photos gratefully received!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 99 other followers

%d bloggers like this: